Monday, April 5, 2010

Grace For My Junk

“Do you know that God loves you and forgives all your sins?” Tears slid slowly down her cheeks. “I’m trying to believe that”, she said. She has not heard those words much in her lifetime. She knows where she has been and what she has done - just as I know where I have been and what I have done in my past. She does not understand grace and to be very honest - neither do I. But, if there is one thing I do know, it is this: God knows where we have been and what we have done, too, but he is not bothered by that. He cares about what we can be and where we are going.

We all come with our “junk”, stuff that we really do not want others to know about. Stuff we really want to shut the door on and try to forget about. The stuff that satan can use to “keep us down”, to keep us from being all that God wants us to be. Stuff that in reality God wants to hear about. God wants our junk. He knows all about our junk anyway.

2 Corinthians 12:9 tells us that His grace IS enough to cover all of our junk. “But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." It is in our weakness, our admission that: “God, I don’t want to carry this anymore, I know that I need you”. It is when we come as we are, weak and sinful, that our all –powerful God can begin a miracle in our lives. But we have to let go of that junk and give it to Him. Won’t you come to God just as you are and give him your “junk”? Come today, come tomorrow and the next tomorrow and the next…

1 comment:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

Amen, sister. You are so right ... God knows all our junk, so we may as well spill the beans, right?

Welcome to Blogger Land. It's been said by someone smarter than me (that's pretty much everyone!!!) that some folks write to find out what they're thinking. I've found that be true in my own writing. I DO write to sort of process what I'm thinking.

It can feel risky at times -- so vulnerable to put our thoughts out here on the Big Ol' World Wide Web. May you feel the freedom to share in the fellowship of believers out here.

God bless you on this journey.