Monday, April 12, 2010

The Great Physician

As I continue to think about my daughter’s doctor appointment. I began to process it even more. I am so thankful for doctors who do all they can to heal our bodies. They are educated, experienced people who have been trained to heal people.

However, I know the Great Physician. I marvel at the way that the Great Physician works in ways we do not comprehend, oftentimes it takes a second look [or 3rd, 4th or 5th]. Not only can he heal our bodies, he heals us in ways that no doctor ever could. He gives peace in the midst of the storm. He reconciles people to himself, with his grace that draws us in. He remains when it seems we have lost everything else. Yesterday in church we sang a song with these words: “You were, You are, You will always be!” That brought so much comfort to me! In the shifting sands of the things that we sometimes base our lives on, God is the SURE, FIRM foundation, in my past, for my present and in my future!

I have a friend who is battling cancer and there have been a few times where she has been really sick and it has been a scary time. It is really hard to watch her go through this and to see someone that I love so deeply, one who is an "everyday" friend, go through so much and be in in so much pain. In the midst of all of this, I am reminded [again] that God truly is all I need. I have felt his comfort, I have felt his love, and I have truly felt his arms around me as he holds me close to him. I can say that I have felt all of this in the times when it is just God and I - times when I am crying out to him, telling him how much it hurts. Then, it seems, simply to show me the deep love he has for me; he brings people to me that show me his love and care through their words and actions.

When life hurts, it can be so easy to isolate ourselves and just not let anyone in. However, as my daughter needed “a friend” last week at the doctor’s office - it is so important to have people come alongside us at those times in our lives when we go through painful times. People who will acknowledge our pain. People who will hold our hand and say “it’s ok”. People who will let us show our hurt, and support us to help ease our pain. I do have people who are doing all of these things for me. I have been surrounded and supported by a community of God followers. These people have embraced my friend who is battling cancer. They have prayed for her, loved and cared for her - a woman they do not even know. That is our Great Physician at work!

Which brings to mind these verses from 2 Corinthians 1:3-4: “ Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort, who comforts us in all our troubles, so that we can comfort those in any trouble with the comfort we ourselves have received from God.” The comfort that we receive during our “troubles” is comfort from God, as He comforts us, which sometimes that comfort comes through his people. God has given me friends who have supported a friend through cancer. These people truly “hear” the words that I do not say. They “get it”. There is one woman who I did not know until just a few months ago, I have never met her, yet she has been a very big encouragement to me, because she “knows” what I am going through – she has been there. God has given me friends who have experienced deep hurt and pain that cannot be explained, these friends understand. This post today is written as encouragement to you, to be “those friends” to those who need “those friends”. Who could that be in your life today?

No comments: