Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Andrew

I shed a tear or two last week for my son, Andy. We were privileged to hear his Senior presentation [a time when the student shares his high school experience with his parents] Also, this past Sunday we celebrated his public profession of his faith in God.   [Andy is wearing the orange and black shirt in the picture.]  My heart was exploding with gladness and gratefulness to the One who changes our lives and enters our heart when we ask him to. Andy is named in part for the disciple Andrew in the Bible. Andrew appears very few times in the Bible, yet almost all of those times he is bringing someone to Jesus. [Wouldn’t that be a neat thing to be remembered for?]

Andy’s life verse is Jeremiah 29:11-14 – “For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD.” We prayed for Andy to seek hard after God. And he did. However, God also sought Andy. He came looking for Andy. He drew Andy to Himself. While we prayed - God was at work. God is faithful.

The name Andrew means “strong, manly, warrior” and trust me when I say this - he has lived out that name.   Andy has always been strong-willed, in the good sense and in the “not so good” sense. He has always cared for people and been a compassionate person, to those who were hurting. He has made people laugh with a smart comment or funny story. Andy has also been a warrior and I have cried for him as I watched him battle some things in life, things that were very challenging for him to walk through.

Andy graduates from high school in two days. He plans to pursue a double major in Digital Media Production and Computer Science. A magnet on my fridge says this: “There are two things you give your children: one is roots, the other is wings.” We gave him roots and now it’s time for us to give him his wings.

Andy: go out and do everything for God’s glory. Use the gifts God has given you to bless others and to help others see God. God knows the plans He has for you, Andy. Continue to call on Him and pray to Him. Continue to seek Him with all your heart and know that I will be here praying. Love you, Andy. Love, mom

1 comment:

patty said...

**sniff sniff**wiping away the tears**
What a wonderful young man...and what a tremendous blessing to see him following hard after God.
God bless you & Mike as you let go and Andy as he takes flight.
love, patty