Monday, May 3, 2010

The New Normal

I have often heard the phrase “the new normal”. That phrase is often said when something changes, and things how you knew them to be will never be what they were before the change. Change is all around us. I look out at the new leaves on the trees, showing me that spring has arrived [finally!]. I have been buying new clothes for the kids. They are growing and changing. I read back through some of my old journals – I have changed. Relationships change. People come into our lives and sometimes they go.

Things change… we learn to live “the new normal” many times in our lives.

Change can sometime be viewed as a bad thing. And sometimes it can be. Yet, many times change is a good thing – even the changes that are painful at the time. Winter to spring is probably my favorite change that occurs every year. The snowy, cold, strong winds of winter give way to warm, sunshiny days that reveal new buds on every tree. Our lives can be like that, too.

 If we let them - the harsh “winters” of our lives can lead to something even more beautiful: springtime in our lives. Where we live with the expectation of what will be.

Throughout the changing seasons in our lives; in the ebb and flow of life, sometimes it does seem like we are trying to find a foundation [a sure place to stand] while on shifting sand. The story from Matthew 7 of the wise man and the foolish man reminds us where to “plant” our feet, where to build our life. God is the solid rock. One of my favorite songs [“In Christ Alone by: Travis Cottrell] includes the phrase “On Christ the solid rock I stand. All other ground is sinking sand. All other ground is sinking sand.” He is the “sure” thing when changes come into our lives.

Hebrews 13:8 reminds us where to put our hope during those times of shifting sand - “Jesus Christ is the same yesterday, today, and forever.” He will never move. He will always “be there”. He is always the same. He will never change.

No comments: