Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Love Is...

Where does the time go? We were very young as we stood in the front of that church that day in May 1984. Each 20 years old. We said our vows: For better, for worse. In richer and in poorer. In sickness and in health. We promised to encourage each other to develop the gifts God has given us. We said: “I love you”. Then we said “I do.” And we stepped into our future together. Not really understanding what true love really is or even more so the verses we had chosen for our wedding day, from Colossians 3.

These well known verses from 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 give us a glimpse of what love is. "Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.”

Today I have a much better understanding of what love really is, because of these past 26 years.Real life helps us begin to understand what love is.  Real life helps us learn to love in the way God desires. 

Love is sacrifice. Love is not just a “feeling”. Love is crying together. Love is praying together for that much desired child. Love is celebrating that new job. Love is saying I am sorry [no matter what the movie “Love Story” said]. Love is saying I forgive you. Love is rejoicing over the birth of each child God gives you. Love is compromise. Love is compassion. Love is kindness. Love is realizing that we all make mistakes and showing grace when someone else does, or receiving it when you do. Love is humility. Love is gentle. Love is putting yourself in their shoes. Love is encouraging someone to be all that God has made them to be. Love is putting the other first. Love grows silently, and suddenly you realize you would never want to be without that person.

Today my husband and I celebrate 26 years of marriage. We have had many reasons to rejoice, we have had some sorrow, some pain and some trials. Today I know without a doubt that I would do it all over again. Thank you, Mike, for walking this journey with me. I love you.


1 comment:

patty said...

Beautiful and True.

and Happy anniversary!!

love, me :)