Wednesday, May 5, 2010

I Am Counting On God

Early in the morning the prayer was spoken. It had been a sleepless night. “God, I don’t even KNOW what to pray for anymore.” One word came clearly: “Joy”. I want joy. I want to choose true joy, not just happiness. True - feel it deep down inside – joy.

A favorite song of mine is “Counting on God” [#1 in my playlist].  This song says it this way: “Joy unspeakable that won’t go away and just enough strength to live for today. So I never have to worry what tomorrow will bring ‘cause my faith is on solid rock. I am counting on God!” Jared Anderson wrote this song after his church went through a very difficult year. This is what he says about the writing of the song.

“Counting on God” written by Jared Anderson
This song has come to the forefront in the life of our church because of the recent trials we’ve had to face. The testing of our faith has made us more resolved to endure and overcome the sufferings for the all-surpassing glory of God. It is not only our obstacles that will be defeated, but the Kingdom of our God will overtake the kingdom of this world. This song helps us put our battles into proper perspective. The evidence that this is taking place is seen in the transformation of our lives and community. We are nothing like we used to be.

"Counting on God" has become my prayer. How does that kind of joy come? There are many things we can count on God for. This morning I was drawn to these verses Psalm 18.

"You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light. With your help I can advance against a troop; with my God I can scale a wall. As for God, his way is perfect; the word of the LORD is flawless. He is a shield for all who take refuge in him. For who is God besides the LORD? And who is the Rock except our God? It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect."

Those verses contain a lot of wisdom and power. GOD keeps our lamp burning. We can advance against a troop [whatever we’re ‘fighting’] with God’s help. The walls in front of us CAN be scaled with His strength. Then I read these words: “He is a shield for all who take refuge in him.”  He is a shield for us...For all who take refuge in Him. To me that implies a choice. He is always a shield around me.  I choose:  If I will pull into his safe harbor and let Him be what He really wants to be for me.  If I will take refuge in Him and find peace and rest.

He is the oil in my lamp. He is my helper. He is my shield. He is my refuge. He is my Rock. He is my strength. It’s a choice to do it my way or to count on God as my refuge. It’s a choice to take what He so readily offers.


[Note: The church that Jared Anderson was a member of is New Life Church, Colorado Springs, CO.  It is a story of hope and rising above, despite deep pain and heartache. Click here to read the story.]

No comments: